Sometimes I end up creating the coolest things out of mistakes… I had originally envisioned creating a simple drapey jacket like the one pictured below.
However- after cutting a bit too much length off of the back and using it to create a collar that looked not at all like what I was going for, I was a bit disappointed and about to just throw the whole project out. Somehow, after trying the thing on a hundred times and staring and pinching and pinning and thinking- I got the idea to create a kimono sleeve- and then the rest just unfolded naturally. I’m really happy with the final product. I would consider this something for a medium skill level- but if you take out the troubleshooting time- it’s a pretty simple project that’s perfect for Holiday hangouts.
I started out with two flannel XL in coordinating colors. One was cotton- the other was the real deal. Step one was to cut ‘er up. I cut off the bottom at and angle so I could use it to create a collar. I then removed the cuffs and collar…
All I had to do after this was iron under the kimono leaves and sew down to hem. Definitely a lot of tweaking and fitting for this one- but if you are a mid level sewer- it’s quite easy to do 🙂 I loofa how this thrifted flannel makeover turned out!